TATTOO AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
INITIAL CARE: Once you have your new tattoo, it is important to follow the procedures regarding care.
1. Remove the bandage after 3-4 hours. If necessary you may leave your tattoo bandaged for up to 8 hours. After the bandage is removed please do not rewrap your tattoo.
2. After removing bandage, wash the tattoo immediately with warm water and soap. We recommend mild antibacterial soap out of a pump bottle. No soap with fragrance moisture beads or scrubs.
PROCESS FOR WASHING A FRESH TATTOO:
Carefully remove bandage and tape
Make a lather in your hand with soap and warm water
Gently clean tattoo using a circular motion, until all ointment, blood, and lymphatic fluid are removed
Rinse the tattoo and wash once again, gently, until the skin is clean
A clean paper towel may also be used to dab the tattoo dry
3. Only use CLEAN HANDS to wash your tattoo. NO washcloths, bath towels, bath sponges or loofahs on a fresh tattoo.
4. Once the tattoo is dry apply AQUAPHOR. Apply a very small amount and rub it in, then dab excess off with a clean paper towel. Use the Aquaphor for the first 3-4 days then switch to a regular FRAGRANCE FREE lotion such as Curel, or any other fragrance free brand.
Apply the ointment and lotion 2-3 times a day for 10-14 days.
5. Fresh tattoos sometimes “weep” during the first couple of days, meaning that plasma and ink form a thin moist coating on the skin. This can be DABBED with a clean paper towel. Press the paper towel to the skin and remove. Do not wipe the tattoo or be rough with it. Do not panic when you see the colors of the tattoo on the paper towel, or on your hands as you clean it. This is simply excess ink being sloughed from the surface or the skin.
6. Once a day, in the shower, is usually enough cleaning for any new tattoo. Lotion may be applied to the tattoo as it dries out; however if your skin is extremely sensitive, lotion may cause acne- like break outs. This can be taken care of by reducing the number of lotion applications per day.
7. Wear loose, preferably cotton clothing over the fresh tattoo.
8. After a few days, the tattoo will begin to form flaky scabs that will fall off on their own. DO NOT PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR TATTOO. Keep it moisturized and the scabs will slough eventually. Once again, they will be the color of the tattoo. It normally takes 2-4 weeks for a tattoo to completely heal.
9. Avoid saunas, jacuzzis, swimming or soaking in a bath until your tattoo is completely healed.
10. Avoid exposing your tattoo to direct sunlight and tanning beds while healing. After your tattoo is HEALED always apply sunscreen to your tattoo or keep it covered to prevent your tattoo from fading.
If you have ANY questions about your healing, please contact your tattoo artist. Please do not consult your friends about healing issues, as everyone’s experience is unique. Our artists are more than happy to help with any concerns you might have.